söndag 9 januari 2011

The Last Days of the Lacuna Cabal
















This entry is going to be in english, since I hope that perhaps Sean Dixon, the author himself, is going to make a visit to my blog.

With that said, I would also like to say: I want to be a member of the Lacuna Cabal book club! Or rather, I wish I was courageous enough to be a part of a book club as intense as that. Because this book club is really serious about literature, and letting literature play a dominant, active part in their lives. For them, reading is a matter of life and death. They meet in different locations, acting out the text they're reading at the moment and at the same time, in a strange way, acting out their own lives as well. They are all very brave and don't back away from breaking their own rules or even travelling to the end of the world by boat.

When I first picked up this book, I sort of expected it to be some kind of cosy, a bit funny, a bit sad story about some people in a book club. Quite ordinary, straight forward stuff. Boy, was I wrong! The story is really quite unbelievable, and at one point I wondered if all the crazy things happening was meant to be taken seriously or merely as a metaphor for something else? However, even though they write in different styles, reading Dixon's The Last Days of the Lacuna Cabal is, in one way, similar to reading something by Haruki Murakami. His stories are also quite strange, but personally I'm convinced that they should be taken seriously. In the same way, I think the experiences of the members of the Lacuna Cabal are important in so many ways and their bravery should be admired.

Of course, now I also have to read the Epic of Gilgamesh.

1 kommentar:

Sean Dixon - sa...

Thank you for writing in English. Yes, I take the story very seriously, for all its seeming craziness. Dancing at the place where life and death meet is good for the soul. And yes, you should read The Epic of Gilgamesh.